Friday, September 26, 2008

Update on Progress of Family Advocacy Group in Chawama

Recently, we received an e-mail from Fr. Patrick in Chawama. In the e-mail, he updated the progress of the family advocacy group that has been meeting at the church in Chawama. Here is an excerpt from Patrick's e-mail:

Special needs Chawama Group: first meeting- Friday 12 September. The turn out was overwhelming; I walked into that hall and was greeted by so many expectant and/or anxious faces of children, men and women, young and old with different disabilities. Ba Father for whom they had been waiting had arrived. That in itself was a honour, but also a huge challenge for me. Before going to Italy, I had began talking with a very small group of women who come out voluntarily after I had preached about the reality of a person with a disability in the family. The subsequent visit of the team from the USA had overwhelming results- hat off for all of you.

On that our first meeting, the one thing they all expected was to have their picture taken. It turned out ot be an exciting photo-taking session- I'll send some as soon as I can; still have problems downloading pictures from my camera.

I addressed the group briefly, especially checking their expectations and clarifying the misdirected ones. I emphasized on the the power of unity and recognizing that they are not alone in the situation, as well as the need to come out of the shame, suspicion and fear that often accompany any disability in the family.

There was also a parent from another parish who spoke to the group about her experience as a mother of a child with a disability and how she has struggled until she's able to stand up for the rights of her child, without fear or shame.

The group met again the following Friday; more came. Many still expected to have their pictures taken. I was not able to attend. The Home Based Care team addressed them.
Our task is to identify a core team that will work with Mathew and I and the parish executive representative(s) to draw up a program and orientation of our work.

It is obvious that such work demands a lot of consistency, time and energy. The parish team shows a lot of interest to learn and make follow up. I really do count on them as well as your support.

On behalf of Mathew and the whole parish community, I thank all of you- dzikomo.
Patrick.

Patrick also sent photos of the group's meetings:

















No comments: