Saturday, January 19, 2008

Arrived in Lusaka and off to Livingston


I arrived safely in Zambia as planned a few hours late due to weather in London. Sandy Beddor was at the airport waiting for me just as promised. Lusaka was much smaller and far more remote then I had anticipated. The man behind me on the plane was asking where the radio tower was at the airport. I have never landed at such a small airport.

I had just enough time to get to the guest house at the Italian Orthopedic Hospital which is managed by the Sisters of St. Francis of Assisi. Sandy and Beth had stayed there overnight and I was able to shower and get a cup of coffee and then we headed back to the airport to go to Livingston. The children and adults in Zambia come to this hospital for physical therapy and for orthopedic surgery - it looks nothing like an American hospital or even clinic. Very primitive.

While in Livingston we were able to see the Victoria Falls (one of the seven natural wonders of the world) and went on a river boat on the Zambezi River where we saw hippos, giraffe and crocs. We also walked to the Victoria Falls and then down the gorge so we could be on the Zambezi River by the Falls. Brad would have found the trek down and up adventuresome. Sandy talked me into going on an ultralight that day too!!!! Kim watch out - there is A LOT of Sandy's type of adventure in Zambia! we also were able to go to a few markets and get an understanding of the community and the role of the many missions and the various sisters.

This was a time to get settled and get over jet lag. Sandy said is was to be the only "fun time." The work began the following day for me. - More later, Amy

No comments: