Sunday, April 10, 2011

Rice Krispie Treats, S’Mores and Video Games – Universal Enjoyment


For the past two evenings we have been sharing with Mikala and the children she looks after about the ways in which we enjoy marshmallows. The first evening it was Rice Krispie treats and last night we made S’Mores. We had to improvise a bit. We used biscuits (round mildly sweet and flat cookies), a dark chocolate Lindt bar I brought from the states with chilis in it and pink and white marshmallows. Everyone enjoyed them so much we are headed back to pic-n-pay today to purchase some more. I suspect S’mores will become a nightly occurrence for our remaining nights in Zambia.

I also gave Casey (Mikala’s nieces child that she is raising who has a disability caused by untreated sickle cell anemia) the Nintendo DS that Jack sent with me to give to a child in Zambia. I was trying to figure out how to turn it on and finally Casey asked if he could try. Just like Jack, he picked it up and began playing it immediately with no instruction. I am not sure I understand the universality of these electronic games but they certainly are made for children because as an adult I never can figure out what you are supposed to do and Casey figured it out immediately and he had never even seen such a toy. He was sooooo incredibly thrilled to have this new toy and the two games that came with it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Chocolate is readily available at all the stores...and it is cheaper there than in the United States! Sounds like lots of fun.